Saturday, June 15, 2013

All about rugs

I've had a lot of friends ask me about my rug choices and flooring options. I'm no expert on rugs but I've had my fair share of rugs. Rugs are great because you can easily change the look of your room by switching to another rug. I think the general population would vote on a soft and fluffy rug for their feet. However, living with toddler, a soft rug might not always be the best choice. When we first bought our house, I went out and bought a super soft and fluffy rug for our living room. I really loved that rug at first touch. Our Emily was a newborn when we bought our first rug. It was great. Emily loved laying on the soft rug and everyone lived in harmony with the rug. As time flew by, Emily the terrorist learned how to walk and eat snacks. Our soft and once fluffy rug has turned into a jungle filled with snack crumbs. It wasn't a good sight. Even with daily vacuuming, cleaning, and careful snack choices for Emily the rug just wasn't going to work. I eventually had to let the rug go on a very sad and gloomy day.

In my search for a new living room rug I stumbled across outdoor/indoor rugs. They are great. They come in a variety of styles and designs just like regular rugs but even more affordable. They are washable. If they ever get dirty, you literally can take them outside, hose it down with water, wait for it to dry and bring it back inside. They are meant to last for not just normal wear and tear but outdoor wear and tear. The only downside is that its not soft and fluffy.

We ended up buying an outdoor/indoor rug for our living room and I'm loving it. It was the best decision I ever made. I like the pattern/design of the rug. It was very cheap compared to other rugs its size. Our rug is 11x14 and we got it for under $200 shipped to our door from Overstock. The best part of all is that it is holding up extremely well with our Emily. It is so easy to vacuum. I literally only have to use a cheap $15 stick vacuum and it picks everything off the rug so easily. The rug is flat so its easy to vacuum or sweep clean.

Our living gets a lot of traffic. It is the main room where everyone goes to. It has our giant 18 feet long sectional so everyone goes there. The rug gets stepped on a lot. Our old soft and fluffy rug wasn't so soft and fluffy after a few months of use since we had so much traffic in the living room.




On the other side, we bought a new rug for our master bedroom. Its a soft wool rug. Its nice and fluffy and I love it. I think a soft rug will only work in an area that doesn't get much traffic such as our bedroom. So far the rug is holding up nicely. I haven't had any spills or messes on it yet. I don't vacuum it regularly either since it doesn't really get dirty.




So next time before you run out and purchase a rug make sure to consider which rug will be best for you and your family. Soft and fluffy isn't always the best choice.

**Update on fireplace and coffee table will be up by next week. I'm letting my dad rest for fathers day weekend. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment