Tuesday, March 25, 2014

After two days of purging

Heres a quick update of what has been going on in our crazy house. Binh's office is actually pretty empty and have been stripped back to its bare bones. The room is far from where I want it to be but I have no more energy today so I'm hoping to be able to vacuum and steam clean the floors tonight and call it a day. Here are pictures of the office today after our recycle and regular trash bins are completely full. This angle of the room looks pretty empty. I plan to have two desks on this side. One is already in place and just need to be moved over a little. The corner desk from the other side of the room will be converted back to a regular desk and place on the opposite side of the room. I tried to give the corner desk away but couldn't find a kind enough person to take them off my hands so I guess I'm stuck with it.

Here's a before and after for comparison: 




Here's the other side of the room where the large entertainment center will go. The whole wall will be covered by the entertainment center. The corner desk will be converted to a regular desk and moved to the opposite side of the room.

Here's a before and after of the same angle: 




The two sofas and ottoman will remain in that area. I will reupholster the two ottomans with some fabric I have purchased a while ago. I also plan to move the sofa over to the right more once the corner desk is moved to the other side of the room. The room will feel more like an office and man cave with separate designated areas for each side.




I didn't want to spend extra money on the entertainment center. I want to keep things simple and budget friendly so I used some old paint I had left over from the master bedroom dresser project. I had a good amount left so I'm hoping it will cover the whole entertainment center. The color was solid enough to only require one coat with no primer, meaning just one coat of painting for me and minor touch ups if needed.



I had to split the painting into three days because I simply don't have enough energy to paint all three at once. I really felt like I cut corners with this project because I was so tired that I didn't bother painting the inside of the cabinets that will be covered with doors. I figured I'm going to stuff a million and ten things in there and it will be covered with a door so why even bother. One full coat of paint covered pretty good to me. I might buy really fine sandpaper and smooth out some rough spots but lets see how my energy goes.





I cut corners with the middle cabinets by not painting the sides. I figured the two side cabinets when in place will cover most of the middle cabinet so why bother painting it.




I have one more side cabinet to go and the doors to the cabinets to paint. Looks like I don't have enough paint so i'm heading to Homedepot to pick up another quart of paint. Hopefully, my dad and brother will come over soon to help me rearrange the furniture and bring this entertainment inside before it rains.

Future plans for this room include:

*Rearranging all the furniture
*Refinishing/makeover both desks
*Converting the corner desk back to a regular desk
*Adding some masculine art work along the walls
*Adding some storage cabinets/options to the wall near the window so I can store our vacuum
*Upholster the two ottomans with some fabric I have laying around
*Adding some curtains to the plain, odd, small, dark window
*Get new office chairs
*Add a rug to the floor so its not so cold
*Make some nice pillows to soften up the black sofas


Budget breakdown so far:

Entertainment center from CL $40
One quart of paint $15

No comments:

Post a Comment