Thursday, February 27, 2014

Nursery before and after

I'm finally done with redecorating the nursery and can mark it off my to do list. Today I just wanted to show you guys the before and after.

Before:

I had a large pink dorel rocker that is now replaced by the ikea agen chair. The crib has been moved to the wall on the right and the changing dresser has been moved to the wall where the pink dorel rocking chair sat.  The nursery was a very pale/light green with empty walls and a sad window.




Here's an old picture of the diaper changing dresser without the top knobs. That corner is now Emily's new big girl bed. 




After: 

Same view as first picture above. The crib is moved to the right and changing dresser is located to the left.




Emily's new big girl bed in the corner where the changing dresser use to sit. 






View from Emily's bed









I love the new Ikea Agen chair because its so lightweight and easy to move that I can pick it up with one arm and move it next to Emily's bed whenever I want. It also fit perfectly between the tall chest and her big girl bed.




Total cost breakdown of nursery makeover:

* Emily's big girl bed/canopy and accessories $200
*Free craigslist tall dresser/chest with new accessories/knobs $30
*Simple lamp makeover $9
*Ikea Agen chair $35

Total: Under $400

I think I was able to save a lot of money by finding a free Craigslist dresser and such an affordable new chair for the nursery. I wanted to challenge myself and really use supplies that I already had at home to redecorate the nursery. Not only would it save me some money but it also frees up space to hoard future potential projects. I was able to use an old unused manzanita branch, some old frames, left over supplies from projects  (headboard for Emily's bed), and old decorative boxes I had around the house to add finishing touches to the nursery. 

Aside from saving money by thrifting and using what I already had, I was also able to resell some of Emily's old stuff. I was able to sell Emily's pink Dorel rocking chair, green frog humidifier, and old nursery lamp. Three pieces did not match the new room so I didn't want to hoard them around my house and was able to sell them for $130. After selling everything and adding total costs I really spent about $260 for the new nursery. 

2 comments:

  1. What a cute nursery! I'm in the process of putting together a nursery on the cheap. It can be hard work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks BB. Congrats on your pregnancy. You are very right... but you're on the right track. First stop should always be shop around your house.

      Delete