Thursday, July 30, 2020

Upgrading to a big girls room

All of our outdoor projects are on hold because our two girls decided they are big girls now and don't want to sleep in the same bed anymore. Ever since Kaley left her crib, she has always slept in the same bed with her sister Emily. They started out in their nursery with a toddler bed (for Emily) and a crib (for Kaley). As they got older and we also moved to another home, we upgraded them to a big full/queen size bed. They were happy sleeping next to each other for the last 5 years. However, lately Emily has been protesting and asking if she can have her own bed. I have to be honest, I dragged my feet for the longest time because it just feels as if they are getting older and more independent.
    Last week, we finally decided it was time to upgrade their bedroom to separate twin size beds. First step was to repaint their room. It had a bright accent wall with colorful bedding that desperately needed to go.



When we first moved into our current home, I just threw something together for their room as a temporary solution.  I got lazy and comfortable and it never got upgraded until their recent protest. 

Here is the after and breakdown/list of items I used to upgrade their room




The room feels so much bigger with lighter walls. The bright colored accent wall made the room feel smaller. Pictures don't do this room justice because of the bright windows. It's so hard to capture how nice and airy it feels compared to the previous look.




I found some flower wall decorations at Hobby lobby for $35 for two. It was actually $35 each but they were all 50% off. I added old paper butterflies onto the flowers for an interesting detail. In person, the bed and wall decor looks very whimsical.  I bought one blush colored pillow case from target for $5 and cut it in half to make two identical pillows for each bed. 





I scored two beds on offer up for $150. Headboard is solid wood and the detail on it is perfect for the look I'm going for in my girls rooms. 



I have a small collection of frames from our old house so it was always kept on a top shelf in our garage. I repainted them and hung three in the room.  I love looking for decor items around the house. Its free and gets rid of random clutter I have stored.  Two were hung above the black dresser and another one across from the beds with a quote that I had in my girls nursery when they were young.

 


I picked this quote for their nursery, now room because I want them to be close. We have the extra bedroom but we choose to have them sleep together and in the same room. We aren't having any more kids so they will only have each other when they get older so learn to get along.


I scored this dresser on offer up for $30. After two coats of black paint, refinished the handles with spray paint, and a thin coat of poly for extra protection from my rough girls, it's looking good as new. 






To make it look even prettier, I lined it with dollar tree contact paper. 




Heres another before and after just because it looks so much prettier now

 








Cost breakdown: 
new paint and roller set $50 paint color: Irish mist in eggshell
flower wall decor from Hobbylobby $35 for two
Paper butterflies: free (old)
three old black picture frames: free 
dresser $30 + $20 for paint quart exterior black eggshell paint
headboard $150 for two
new mattress $200 for two
bedding: target mint crinkle texture comforter by room essentials $40 for two
bedsheets target $8 each ($16 total) white bed sheets by room essentials microfiber
one blush colored satin pillow case by room essentials from target $5

$538

Heres a before and after one more time. 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment