Monday, March 16, 2015

Next space makeover: backyard

I've been missing lately because I've been cooking up ideas to decorate our backyard on the cheap. The last few weeks we've been busy building a gate for our dogs. My last attempt at decorating our backyard failed miserably because our dogs are just so messy and dirty. Now that we've created a real contained space for them, hopefully I can really start cleaning up our backyard. It works out perfect in time for spring cleaning. The goal for our backyard is to create a simple dining space and outdoor lounge  area with room for the kids to put a small playhouse and ride their scooter/car around.

As I was looking for lounge area inspiration I came across Frontgate's gorgeous outdoor sofa options. I love Frontgate but hate their prices. I stumbled upon the Cassara sofa and fell in love. The Cassara sofa starts at $1400 which was not close to my budget at all even taking away one of the zeros. lol



So fast forward a few weeks as I put the lounge seating ideas on hold, I stumbled upon another great craigslist find for an outdoor sofa with cushions for only $30 in Rancho Cucamonga. The next day that baby was safe in my garage and ready for me to refinish. Construction was still very solid and the cushions were in good shape and just needed to reupholster it. I just LOVE the curves of the arms and the price too but the style was spot on for me. I seriously can't wait to repaint the whole thing and reupholster the cushions.




I estimate four yards of outdoor duck canvas fabric and some left over black paint should give this sofa a great makeover.

Tip: when I shop at Michaels or Joanns I always make sure to wait until the item goes on sale. Fabric at Joanns usually rotate in their sales. For example, thick outdoor duck canvas fabric regular price is $9.99 so using a 40% off coupon sounds reasonable BUT…if you wait until the fabric goes on sale, you can use a 20-25% stackable coupon to get it for cheaper. Last week the canvas fabric was regular price at $9.99 but this week its on sale for $6.99 and I plan to use my 20% coupon to lower the price to $5.60 a yard. Savings of $1.40 doesn't seem much but since I'm planning on buying 6.5 yards I will be saving almost $10. Four yards will be used for the sofa and another 2.5 for the dining chairs I purchased a long time ago.

Another tip: ACE has sample paints for $1 each. Sample paints are perfect for a small chair, simple chandelier, serving tray, or decorative box makeover. A lot of times people think spray paint is the only way to go but paint with a simple brush will work well too. Spray paint is very wasteful so sample paints are a good alternative.

No comments:

Post a Comment